Belief and the Supe...

Notifications
Clear all

Belief and the Supernatural  

Jeff
 Jeff
Admin
(@admin)

Hello everyone! I’m conducting research involving contemporary supernatural belief, in which I’m working with people both online and in person to learn about how their beliefs about and experiences with the supernatural impact their daily lives.

If you’re willing to participate, I’ll collect your responses to my questions here, and may quote them in future publications. I’ll use your forum handles if you’re comfortable with that, or I can assign a different pseudonym if you prefer. You may also use your real name if you wish--please notify me regarding your preferences. (Please also keep in mind that this forum is publicly viewable.)

Because this is a University study, it’s important that you understand the study and your role before you agree to participate. BEFORE YOU REPLY TO THIS POST, please view the Study Information Sheet and Consent Document, which will give you more details on your rights as a study participant and how I will work to ensure your privacy and confidentiality.

For this study I am only seeking online responses from participants age 18 and above. Please do not reply if you are under 18. By participating you certify that you are at least 18 years of age.

You can choose not to participate at any time. If you don’t want any materials which you have provided here to be used, please message me directly through the forum or email me at jat639@psu.edu, and I will be happy to omit the materials in question.

By posting in this discussion thread you acknowledge your consent to participate in this study.

To start, I'd like to ask folks to introduce themselves and describe their relationship to the supernatural. Please tell me a bit about your background and your present beliefs, and whether you've had direct experiences with things that could be seen as supernatural.

When I use supernatural here I mean phenomena that are perceived to be outside the normal bounds of human experience and the ability of science to quantify. This can include things such as spirits/ghosts, mediumship and psychic abilities, magical practices, and many other things.

Of course many people don't like the term "supernatural," because it may carry a certain stigma, or maybe because everything that exists is "natural" and therefore nothing can be "super"-natural. I use the term mostly because it's a scholarly norm, which means that my own thinking on the topic is based in part on scholarly attitudes. I also use it because "paranormal" seems too sciencey, but I'm interested to know your thoughts about this too.

8 Replies
Ravaenwolf1218
(@ravaenwolf1218)

I'm Aubrey Baldwin. 44 years old. A witch, ordained minister, Reiki Master, as well as a heyoka empath/psychic medium. My experiences started at age four. When puberty hit, I didn't grow out of it. Been with me a very long time, these unique abilities.

1 Reply
Brittany01
(@brittany01)

@ravaenwolf1218 

Hi hon, how are you? I was wondering if I can talk to you about our abilities and such . I can use some guidance . 

Brittany01
(@brittany01)

I have had my first visitation dream when I was 7 after my grandma died, since then I have had experiences with visitations , knowing when my loved ones were going to pass away to seeing things like shadows and white mist and noises like foot steps to pulling my hair to me feeling cold areas around and by me and make my hair on my arms stand up and gives me goose bumps. It tends to be when I'm alone not with my kids or parents but by myself sometimes during the day but mainly at night .. My dad has always believed and I turned my mom into a believer.  I know I'm a Empath and I'm pretty sensitive and attuned to myself along with other ppls energies. Like I'm always drained and tired all the time its nuts. I want to learn to develop my abilities and I'm taking courses to become a investigator. I don't go to the spirits or ghosts they always come to me.

2 Replies
Brittany01
(@brittany01)

I'm also 31 will be 32 this summer . thanks 😀 

Jeff
 Jeff
Admin
(@admin)

@brittany01 Thank you very much for your response! That sounds like a difficult situation to navigate. Have you ever spoken with any sort of spiritual adviser, or religious leader, or any other expert for help coping with these experiences?

Brittany01
(@brittany01)

Since I'm not religious I have not, I do want a mentor for sure but I don't feel comfortable with religious people. 

2 Replies
Jeff
 Jeff
Admin
(@admin)

@brittany01 Oh, I see. Can I ask about your own beliefs, in a general sense?

Ravaenwolf1218
(@ravaenwolf1218)

@brittany01 I'm more spiritual than religious. You are more than welcome to email me at ravaenwolf1218@yahoo.com about these things.

Share: