Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Folklore in Horror  

Jeff
 Jeff
Admin
(@admin)

Do you like horror? Are you a fan or creator? Do you also like folklore? Then I've got some questions for you!

As you probably know, I'm working on a project about the role of folklore in the horror genre. I'm asking folks across digital media, and in person, to share their thoughts--so apologies if you've already answered these questions elsewhere!

As a reminder, if you’re interested in participating in my research, I’d ask that you first read through the documents linked below. These will give you a better idea of the study and what I’d like to do with your responses. After reading that material, feel free to join the discussion here. You can also email me directly through the site or my university email (included in the study documents).

For this study I am only seeking online responses from participants age 18 and above. Please do not reply if you are under 18. By participating you certify that you are at least 18 years of age.

Here are the links to information about the study required by my university:

OK, here are some questions to get the conversation started. (I posed basically the same initial questions in a forum on Horror DNA, but that discussion sort of died out after a while.)

• What's your connection to the horror genre? Are you a fan? Writer? Filmmaker? Tell us a little bit about yourself!
  • What does the word “folklore” mean to you?
  • What is “folk horror,” and how is it distinct from the rest of the horror genre?
  • Why do you think folklore has such a prominent role in horror?
  • Does the use of folklore in a horror story—whether it’s “real” or “invented” folklore—somehow affect your emotional response, or how believable the story seems? Why or why not?
Share: